Tourist tax in Bremen - city tax
Bremen und Bremerhaven introduced a tourist tax on 1 April 2012, which was amended on 1 January 2013.
A separate certification has to be completed for each stay in Bremen und Bremerhaven that is necessary for business reasons, and for each guest:
- Invoice issued to the employer or
- Employer certification using an official template: download here (only available in German)
- Contents must be: Name and address of the employer, name of the employee, date of stay and the reason for the stay
Freelancers, self-employed individuals and contractors:
The certification is always valid for one
stay; if you depart on a Friday and return on a Monday, then a new
certification has to be submitted to the hotel.
Applications for subsequent refunds must be
submitted to the municipal authorities within four months of the end of
- Complete the self-certification using an
official template --> download hier
(only available in German)
- No further documentation is required.
The municipal authorities reserve the right to check the details
Services subject to the tax
- The tax is billed per guest and night, depending on the category of the hotel (according to BremenTourismus, net plus VAT):
- €1.00 for simple guest houses, camp sites etc. Pensionen, Campingplätzen, etc.
- €2.00 for hotels with one to three stars
- €3.00 for hotels with four or more stars
- The categorisation of hotels is based on the generally applicable domestic criteria
- Children are exempt
- The tax is applied for a maximum of seven consecutive nights. Further nights (consecutive and at the same hotel) are not subject to the tax.
- A separate certification must be provided for each guest; group certifications are not accepted
Contact for further forms and questions
- Magistrat der Stadt Bremerhaven, Stadtkämmerei, PF 21 03 60, 27524 Bremerhaven
- +49 471 590-2081 (Bremerhaven)
- +49 471 590-2348 (Bremen)
- Contact e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website with full information and downloads (some pages are also available in English):